Eternally Grateful

I sat through Fast and Testimony meeting Sunday, enjoying the words of others as they expressed gratitude for the blessings of 2010. As I listened I reflected on the past year and its meaning to me personally. The automatic tendency was to dismiss the year as one of those that left me glad it was over. First, there was the trial of Benjy's life-threatening illness, followed by my dad's passing in September. It seems the brightest spot in an otherwise murky year had been Jay's 40th birthday celebration. 2010 had been weighed in the balance, and found wanting.

But as I listened further, I came to feel 2010 really wasn't really so bad. Benjy survived his illness, and I was grateful. I thought of how proud I was of all my children, and I was grateful for their examples of strength, patience, and love. Even my father's death had proven to be less difficult for me than I had expected.

Now, with Mindy facing another serious medical procedure, I was again thankful for the reassurance I had that it would be okay, and that while it would be difficult to see her going through yet another trial, I was confident her strength of spirit would carry her through the ordeal.

So as I came to these realizations, I knew that the Lord had blessed me beyond measure, in countless ways. I decided to share my thanks with those present. I was truly ready to share my testimony of God's love and his unfailing mercy, when I realized time had run out. Another lost opportunity to express my deepest convictions about the Church, my family, and all the other blessings of the gospel. It was with this sense of loss that I decided to share my thoughts here.

The lessons of 2010 were all precious miracles, and the greatest miracle that continues to bless me is the peace and serenity that my faith has given me. No matter what trials we are confronted with, there is that steadying assurance that comes from the still, small voice of the Spirit. God is in control, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Comments

Fiauna said…
Simply beautiful! I'm glad you missed your chance at church so you could share your testimony here, where the rest of us could read it.

Popular posts from this blog

Eternally Grateful, Part III

Eternally Grateful - Part II

A Prayer and a Promise